Monday, February 7, 2011

New Violet-crowned Hummingbird Vocalization

This morning the Violet-crowned Hummingbird wintering in my yard in North-Central Tucson began singing a new song. I presume this is the advertising song – meant to attract a mate. I had just stepped outside about 15 minutes before sunrise to see if he was at the feeders already and heard this vaguely familiar repeated "squee" sound. I've heard it in Mexico or in Patagonia (Arizona), but it's been a long time. I ran inside to get my Olympus LS-11 and got this recording.



The much quieter "gurgle" song can be heard in this recording from last winter, and he's been giving it all the time.

1 comment:

  1. Was looking for information on vocalizations of the Violet-Crowned Hummingbird, and came across this terrific article.

    Thanks to you and everyone involved in Wings, Inc. for documenting and sharing information on nature's winged creatures!

    Your readers might also be interested in some more info and images of the Violet-Crowned Hummingbird.

    ReplyDelete