Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Garden Update: Five-and-a-half Weeks


I'm tickled pink with the progress of my garden. OK, it's not perfect. Somehow the carrot and onions didn't sprout as well as I thought they should (did I plant the seeds too deep?). But this photo from this morning shows the progress 5 weeks and 4 days after sowing. The plants in the foreground are actually the starts given to me, and the arugula (rocket) and spinach are ready to be used. The plants in rows on the right are the ones I sowed, and in the far corner are the starts that I began in a tray a couple days beforehand and kept indoors for a few days – spinach, chervil, kale, broccoli, and parsley. I don't think the two days head start (plus transplanting a couple days ago) did them any favors.

You can't see it in this photo, but there are four nasturtium seedlings that have come up as well. They'll add some nice, edible color to the garden.

In the lower right corner you can see a bit of the frost cloth that I've cut to size. I'll be sewing (extremely coarsely) three pieces together and stapling the edges to some wood that I bought to weigh it down and give it some shape. Who knows when I'll need it. I think this is the longest, warmest fall I have ever experienced here, with lows in the low 40's and highs in the upper 70's F. We've had one light frost that did no damage to even the most tender plants. Nor did it budge the whitefly.

1 comment:

  1. Frost?I mist that. Your garden looks good, especially considering that you took off for Texas. If I leave Randy has a hard time keeping stuff alife, but if we both go...We need a huse sitter for xmas! Or we'll just have to eat everything before we leave for CA

    ReplyDelete