Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Blog Backlog Catch-up: Fort Myers in March 2018


 If I’m flying in and out of southern Florida, I try to have WINGS book me a ticket that lets me visit my siblings who live there. This time I spend five days in North Fort Myers with my brother and his family on their small plot of land, hanging out, working on post-tour materials, and even doing a bit of birding in the local nature reserves.

My brother took me to one reserve that had a flora I was totally unfamiliar with. I recognized this only as a member of the annona family; it turns out to be Netted Pawpaw, Asimina reticulata, virtually endemic to the Florida peninsula.

I also joined my sister-in-law, my niece, and my grand nephew to Bunche Beach.

But I didn’t just sit and relax, I went birding. One of the surprises was finding wintering Piping Plovers, and furthermore some were banded. This one was banded the previous year as a juvenile at Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore in Michigan .

No comments:

Post a Comment