Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Garden Update Early January 2017

The garden is doing very well, thank you.

While I was in Oaxaca, the morning after Christmas we had a frost (down to 30.2°F to be precise), and my landlords put a frost cloth over the garden. The tomato (with three green fruits slowly ripening), a volunteer tomato and a few Thai basil seedlings, and all the nasturtiums survived. I ate my first snow pea yesterday.


I have a container garden on my back porch as well, and without protection other than the roof my Brazilian tangerines, the key lime, and the flower stalk of the subtropical aloe (can’t remember which species) also survived unscathed. The hot pink petunia is even blooming as it takes over the pot. Other plants you can see are some random cactuses, peppermint, spearmint, and an anemic gardenia, among others.

No comments:

Post a Comment