Thursday, October 8, 2015

Pork Ribs for Dinner

September 5, 2015

I’m home for only six days between the Brazil tours and my Bolivia tour. That’s plenty of time to repack, make backups of my laptop files and photos, and do laundry, but not enough time to see all the friends I want to. And it’s been weeks since I’ve been able to cook, so I made:

Cheesy onion bread (from Peter Rheinhardt’s Artisian Breads Every Day)

Curry cole slaw (from Cook’s Illustrated)

Lentil salad (from a the back page of The Thymes, the First Alternative Co-op’s newsletter in Corvallis)

and Oven-smoked Pork Ribs (from Cook’s Illustrated).


This last recipe involves smearing the ribs the day before with a mixture of mustard, ketchup, garlic, and spices; heating the oven with a pizza stone to 500°F; scattering powdered, ground lapsang souchang tea leaves over the bottom of a baking tray; putting the ribs over the tea leaves on a cooling rack; sealing the whole thing tightly in heavy-duty aluminum foil; and then placing the pan on the pizza stone so the tea leaves smoke into the ribs. After a half hour, I added some apple juice to the tray, resealed the foil, and roast it at a much lower temperature for several hours. I made a ton and invited a bunch of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment