Monday, April 20, 2015

Amazing Crested Quail-Doves

I'm just back from leading my 17th WINGS birding tour of Jamaica. On my very first tour, which I co-led with Robert Sutton, we only heard Crested Quail-Dove, and Robert really tried his hardest to bring one in. I've not missed it since then, but the numbers and their song activity varies greatly from year to year, and one of these years I'm going to miss it again. There weren't many this year, but this individual bird has been reliable for the past two years, in the Blue Mountains below the town of Section.

Birding Tours in Jamaica

We had actually already seen one on the Ecclesdown Road on our second day of birding, though not this well, but certainly countable views were had by all participants. Then the day after this one, our third Crested Quail-Dove flew in over our heads from behind us, unannounced, and landed in plain sight on a branch over the road in the direction we were looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment