Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Blog Backlog Catch-up: Gambell-Arizona-Europe in June 2018


-->
I was able to post some blogs for the next bit of my life in 2018 already, last June.  So I’ll add just a few photos of each to keep this purely chronological.

The cooking I did for the WINGS tour group in Gambell on St. Lawrence Island was exhausting but very rewarding, and there were few problems. Here we are on the flight out, and I’m wearing the hat I just knitted for myself in Oregon.

There was a fair amount of snow on the ground this year, but no sea ice.

This is my workplace partway through dinner one day.

Then back in Arizona, my friend Marc cam to visit from New York. We did some birding in California Gulch and Montosa Canyon, seeing this Zone-tailed Hawk among others.

But we also saw some nice bugs, such as these nymph Mesquite Bugs, Thasus neocalifornicus

…and this beautiful cicada Hadoa duryi.


I didn’t get a photo, but I should probably mention that while I was in Oregon and Alaska, apparently the automatic timer for the soaker hose I had put on my garden malfunctioned, and no one at home noticed. Everything was dead except for the salvias I had planted for the hummers.

Then Marc and I flew together as far as Chicago, where I caught my flight for Brussels where I joined Andrew for a very enjoyable two weeks of bicycling through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, and France, ending with a few days in Paris. Here we are on the border between Netherlands and Belgium on our day from Maastricht to Aachen. Not long after this we were at the highest point in the Netherlands.


No comments:

Post a Comment