Saturday, August 10, 2019

Blog Backlog Catch-up: QBNA in August 2018


I was home for six days before my next obligation, the mostly fun opportunity to lead field trips for the biannual get-together of the recently renamed QBNA – Queer Birders of North America. Many of the group were also keen on watching bugs and other things, but I don’t remember what we were looking at here.

We had field trips to Patagonia where we saw Violet-crowned Hummingbird, among many others.

After our successful search for Rufous-capped Warblers in Miller Canyon, I mis-stepped in the rocky creek bottom and did a face plant from great height onto the unforgiving boulders. I thought I had broken some bones or shattered my patella, but I only suffered some serious bruises and tore open the knee of my brand new Royal Robbins field pants. But I did destroy my Zeiss spotting scope, later finding out after it was shipped to Germany that it was beyond repair. After the warblers, our most memorable sightings was this beetle Chrysina beyeri that perfectly matched Marcel’s toe polish.

No comments:

Post a Comment